Stellate Ganglion Block (SGB)
Stellate ganglion block is an outpatient procedure that, over the past 12 years, has been extensively studied and successfully used to treat symptoms of post-traumatic stress in thousands of people suffering from injuries of trauma.
SGB has been used successfully to treat trauma from any source, including but not limited to:
- Sexual abuse or assault
- Physical attack
- Child abuse and/or child neglect
- Extreme life events (car accidents, house fires, or medical emergencies)
- Repeated exposure to any of the above (First Responder Trauma)
ROSM Lansdowne physicians, Dr. Sean Mulvaney and Dr. Jim Lynch are pioneers of this innovative technique developed during their careers in military service. Through a partnership with ROSM in 2021, Drs. Lynch and Mulvaney founded The Stellate Institute in Lansdowne, Maryland.
For more information about stellate ganglion block, to determine whether it is right for you, and to schedule, an appointment for SGB, see The Stellate Institute site found here: https://thestellateinstitute.com/
What is SGB?
Stellate Ganglion Block is an injection of a long-acting local anesthetic under ultrasound guidance into the side of the neck around the main nerve that controls the “fight or flight” response (the sympathetic nervous system).
- This nerve, the cervical sympathetic chain is a two-way conduit, which connects the parts of the brain that control the fight or flight response (referred to as the central autonomic network) to the rest of the body.
- By blocking or “turning off” the traffic in the cervical sympathetic chain, it is believed that the parts of the brain that control the fight or flight response are allowed to completely reset, resulting in long-term relief of the associated anxiety symptoms.
- The SGB takes less than 15 minutes to perform, and benefits are seen in as little as 30 minutes.
- Most insurances do not cover SGB as a treatment for PTSD. This means that you will most likely have to pay for your procedure out-of-pocket. The cost of an SGB at The Stellate Institute is $1200 for a one-sided block or $2000 to have an SGB performed on both sides (this requires at least 12 hours between procedures).
If you are currently having suicidal thoughts: CALL the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. (Veterans can call the Veterans Crisis Line: (888) 514-8650).